Salmon Rice Balls with Apple Slices and Apple Vinegar
Serving: yield 40 rice balls or 2 trays
Preparation 30 minutes
Overall cooking time: 90 minutes
Skill level: Easy
Organic white rice 50% (Suggested brand GREENME est. 1995)
Organic Black rice 30% (GREENME)
Organic Brown rice 10% (GREENME) All rice totaling 4 cups
Organic Apple Rice Vinegar 2 Tablespoons (Burkhardt, made in Germany, Sold under the Dr. Ko brand in Taipei, available in Citisuper supermarket in Taipei)
Sea salt 1/4 teaspoon
Salmon, boneless 200 g (Costco, use wild salmon if available)
Organic Miso 2 Tablespoon (available In Cotton Field Organic)
Apple 1 large (use red delicious or gala variety)
Organic lemon 1/2 (zest and juices)
- Measure 4 cups of rice then cook the washed rice at the ratio of 100% rice to 110% water in a rice cooker (BUFFALO brand is suggested for its use of 304 stainless steel as major material).
- Cover and rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cover salmon with miso and bake for 10 minutes or when salmon is just done. If the oven is not your preferred choice of cookware, use a pan on stove top to saute the fish to complete this step.
- Remove the cover of the rice cooker to let the steam out and stir once to let out more steam.
- Cool until the rice’s temperature is manageable to the hand and warm.
- Add vinegar and salt to the rice mixture.
- Remove skin from salmon and flake it into pieces less than 0,7cm long.
- Add salmon and leftover juice into rice mixture.
- Slice apple with skin on with a mandoline or knife to cut an apple into 0.1cm thick slices and squeeze the lemon juice to prevent its discoloring.
- Arrange apple slices in the serving plate with slice covering all gaps in between.
- Use both hands to squeeze mixture into rice balls about the size smaller than a golf ball and place on top to apple slices. You can invite small children or other family members to finish this step with you. It can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
Variations of this recipe:
- For vegetarian
Skip the salmon, use apple dices of 0.5 cm made from 1/2 apple.
- For meat lovers
Use dices of Hakka Salted pork. The recipe will be provided in a later issue
I hope you like my article. Welcome to share with your friends and family. And let me know if there is any comment you would like to share with me. If you’d like to read this later, please save it to Pinterest.