How To Start A Blog On SiteGround
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFORMATION. (NOTE: there are affiliate referring links of mine. If you place an order, I will have a commission with no additional cost.)
Many friends of mine are surprised that I start my blog. Especially my background has nothing to do with building a blog or writing computer codes. That is why I would like to share with you how I made it step by step. Writing a blog is the first step to change my life and helps me make more friends. What I learned from my experience, good or bad, can be an example to help people somehow. It also enables me to explore the world. I would be able to have my life more.
SiteGround is one of the best web hosting providers in 2018 and powers over 1.7 million websites. The startup package is low and affordable. There are several plans to choose from 12-month to 36-month. No matter you choose one, two or three years, the price remains the same. Choosing a good web hosting provider can help you save yourself a lot of time and money. Just 10 minutes to go through the whole setup process with a minor cost.
Hold on! Aren’t there lots of ready-made blogging platforms? I really do not want to do so many designing things or spend so much time here. I want to focus on writing a blog instead of taking care of so many other things. Besides, I am not good at this WordPress or other software. Believe me, I ask myself the same thing, too. However, you need to know the goal to start a blog. You just want to write or would like to be able to work anywhere or have an extra income. It depends on what you want to achieve so as to change how you do it. After some research, in the long run, my decision is no.
Before we get started, I list some disadvantages of free blogging platforms that really strike me out and change my mind.
- Among those bloggers in the blogging platform, you are just one small blogger and may not be searched by search engines quickly and could not stand out easily.
- A free blogging platform is literally set up in advance. The function and styling cannot be altered freely, particularly for your future development.
- If you would like to put some advertisement or have a referring link on your blog, the blogging platform may not permit you to do that. That could be a big issue to monetize your blog and limit your blog potential for growth. More often, the free blogging platform has his affiliate program and banner advertisement on your blog.
Therefore, if you do want to turn your blog into a real business, you certainly need to take the web hosting plan into consideration and have your own blog design. The benefits of setting up a WordPress blog on SiteGround :
- SiteGround is an internationally well-known company and over 1.7 million users are its customers. Even official WordPress.org itself and industry experts trust it as well.
- SiteGround startup plan is cheap enough for you to afford so that you can give yourself a chance to start a blog.
- You can purchase a domain on SiteGround as well to save the time of setting up the process.
- Whenever you need SiteGround, its service and technical support team run for 24/ hours a day in an outstanding and fast way. ( support tickets most responded within 10 minutes)
- SiteGround offers a free trial for 30 days. If you don’t think it suitable for you, you can get a refund and have the money back.
- Your blog or website gets a guarantee of 99.99% uptimes.
- WordPress One-click installer is so considerate and exactly prepared there for you to use. Just simply click it and WordPress blog would set up automatically.
- SiteGround offers a free SSL certificate to have more security to your website and renews automatically for free. Google particularly considers the blog or website with SSL as a safe place to visit.
- Building your own blog certainly shows more professionalism and authority to your readers, especially in your industry.
- You can be free to add any banners, referring links and advertisements to monetize your blog.
This step-by-step tutorial is for a starter to give you a clue of a SiteGround hosting account, help you configure your website and make good use of the tools in the best possible way. If you haven’t already signed up for a SiteGround account, you might want to check it here. Let’s get started on SiteGround and just follow what I show you below to go through this simple and quick process. (NOTE: there are affiliate referring links of mine. If you place an order, I will have a commission with no additional cost).
First Step: Choose Your Hosting Plan
SiteGround has three plans.
These images are from the SiteGround website to make you understand more easily
Here are some tips for you to choose the best and most appropriate plan to you:
- The StartUp plan is a good choice for who is a fresh starter and has only one blog or website.
- The GrowBig plan is a great value for who plans to have for more than one website and the SuperCacher that greatly improves a WordPress and Joomla website speed
- The GoGeek plan is perfect for who plans to run e-commerce and larger sites, or more geeky development needs like staging and GIT integration
Second Step: Select & Set Up Your Domain Name
To give your blog an address in Google or IE, you would have to select and register a domain name. It is only for your blog or website so that your readers would be directed to the right path online. There are some features about picking a domain you need to specially pay attention to:
- An easily catchy domain name such as often searched terms or keywords helps your readers connect you easily
- Make your domain name catchy or evocative to represent what you are trying to express
- Make your domain name memorable or related such as your name
- Your domain name should be limited to 6 and 14 characters long
- No need to add hyphens and include numbers so as to misleading
- No trademarked, copyrighted, or active domain to avoid potentially legal issue
You can choose to buy a new domain, or sign up with an existing domain. Or you can have the free website transfer, which is included for GrowBig and GoGeek plans.
There are two different kinds of situations below:
- Directly register a domain on SiteGround
If you would like to save some trouble and you may consider to search for your domain name and register it along with your SiteGround hosting account. The best part is that you do not have to set it up additionally because it would be configured for you by itself.
You can manage the administrative part of your SiteGround domain (like DNS settings and contact information) by clicking the User Area → My Accounts → Manage Domain.
- Already having an external domain
Maybe you already have a domain name, or maybe you would like to change your web hosting provider and you would like to switch to SiteGround. Then you would have to transfer your site to SiteGround and point your external domain to your SiteGround hosting server. You would need to change your DNS setup from the cpanel of your domain registrar.
You can check the SiteGround DNS by clicking My Accounts → Information & Settings → Account DNS
Third Step: Review Your Plan And Your Payment on SiteGround
Next, you need to choose 12, 24 or 36 months of hosting and then simply type your account information like email & personal and payment information. You can get the same low price no matter which one you choose 1-year or 2-year or 3-year period rather than only for the longer period. Naturally, you can choose 3-year plan to keep your price low. Great! Your SiteGround account setup is complete. Let’s move on.
Note: There are three extra services that you may consider domain registration, domain privacy, and SG site scanner. It is free for your choice and your need.
Forth Step: WordPress One-click Install to Set Up Your Website
Excellent, you have come to the core of installing WordPress on your blog. SiteGround offers an in-house solution to to make the setup easily, called the Account Setup Wizard. It would lead you to the whole setup process of your blog or website. After your login in, the Wizard would show you a pop-up window. If you have not had a blog, you can start it right from the Wizard and click “confirm.”
As you can see the option of WordPress installation below. You can set it up now or you can choose to remind me next time you login. Or the Wizard will save your progress for thirty days.
A new section would appear where you should enter the login information for your new WordPress application. Once you are ready click on the Confirm button.
Next, choose what Enhancements you wish to add to your account – if you want to add any. When you are ready with this step – click on the Complete Setup button.
That’s it! You can now go to the front page of your site and check out the newly installed WordPress application.
Fifth Step: Select A Theme
Launching a WordPress blog, your basic blog software installation comes with a default theme, a ready-to-use design. A theme, a collection of templates and style sheets can make your blog look professional and attractive. You can start with a free theme (hundreds of choices). If it does not show what you want, you can change it right away. It can be very changeable and all free. You can give your blog a different look with a few clicks. If you would prefer another design or something particular, there are plenty of free or paid themes for you to choose.
The first thing you need to do when you want to install a new WordPress theme is to login to your site admin page. Once there, go to Appearance -> Themes.
Here, you will see all the themes you have currently installed in your application. To add another one, simply click on the Add New button.
Congratulation! Your first WordPress blog is born. Excellent!
Note: on the left-hand side of the WordPress Dashboard, you can see a dashboard which includes the main function:
- Pages: edit and create new pages like homepage, about me, contact info
- Posts: edit and create new articles
- Media: edit and add an image
- Appearance / Widgets: edit and add items to your blog sidebar and footer.
I hope you like my article. Welcome to share with your friends and family. And let me know if there is any comment you would like to share with me. If you’d like to read this later, please save it to Pinterest.
Here are more blogging-related posts you would like to know:
- 9 Benefits To Start A Blog
- 5 Tips to Boost Blog Topic and Make A Pop Blog
- 8 Steps To Start A WordPress Blog
- How To Start A Blog On Bluehost
- Best Free WordPress Plugins
- WPForms vs Contact Form 7 Side–by–Side Review
- WordPress.com vs WordPress.org – Which fits me?
- Three Steps To Find The Best WordPress Plugin
- Frequently Asked Questions about Blogging
- Top Web Hosting Services
- Simple Ways To Increase Blog Traffic
- 15 Top Tips About Blogging
- 10 Reasons You Need a WordPress Survey with WPForms
- 13 Ways To Make Money Blogging
- Why & How to Skip Google Forms and Use WPForms Instead?