Egg Plant Pasta with a Yogurt Sauce – It’s Greek in a Plate
What are the typical Greek ingredients? Feta Cheese, oregano, eggplant, Greek Yogurt, Tomato, Olive Oil are all in this dish. From a Nutritionist’s recipe, Greek yogurt is recommended as a good substitute of bechamel, the famous French white sauce made with butter, flour and milk, to reduce fat and calorie intake. Greek yogurt is also an economical source of protein, not to mention the good bacteria inside to keep your intestine and therefore your immune system running smoothly. There you go, yogurt is not just a dessert ingredient for drinks and sweet and yogurt you may not eat so regularly. Incorporate into savory dishes in order to increase the frequency of having healthy recipes.
Honestly, moussaka is my favorite Greek dish I used to make. I have following the best moussaka recipe I can find and it starts with frying eggplant, zucchini and pumpkin slices in olive oil. It’s so good and I have made it several times. It tastes very creamy at the expense of high fatty contents. You need to go to the gym more than a few more times to get the calorie out of your system. It is worth it. But when you are counting calories, this recipe is a good substitute.
We are lucky to have access to organic Japanese eggplants in Taipei, which is more tender compared to the long Chinese eggplants and the very large and slightly bitter western eggplants. In RT-Mart organic Japanese is a regular stable and sold at a very affordable price. In planning this recipe, plenty of vegetables are selected to be hidden in the whole wheat pasta. That’s what every mother wants to hide in daily diet. It is working, use popular dishes but raise the bar of selected ingredients. This is one trick I used to play.
Preparation 25 minutes
Overall cooking time: 35 minutes
Skill level: Easy
Greek Yogurt 1 cup
Garlic 4 cloves finely chopped
Organic Japanese Eggplant 500g or 5 small
Organic white onion 1 large, chopped into 1cm cubes
Feta Cheese 100g in 1cm cubes
Organic Tomato cubes 1 can with juice
Olive Oil 2T
Black Pepper 1 pinch
Pasta cooking Water 2T
Basil leaves 1T
- Cook 1/2 package of pasta of your choice following the direction in the label. About 250g of Rinatura Vollkorn-Spiralen, which is an Italian brand of whole wheat pasta, was used as in the picture. Save 2T of the cooking water.
- Use 2T olive oil to fry chopped onion till translucent. Add sliced eggplants and cook for 5 minutes or till done. Add 1 tin of organic tomato and bring it to broil.
- Add all seasoning and pasta and 2T cooking water and stir till mixed. Remove from stovetop.
- Top with Greek Yogurt and top with basil strips.
- Stir before easting. It can be used as a side dish for 6 or a single meal for 3. It is quick and simple.
I hope you like my article. Welcome to share with your friends and family. And let me know if there is any comment you would like to share with me. If you’d like to read this later, please save it to Pinterest.
Here are more recipe posts you would like to know:
- Salmon Rice Balls With Apple Slices and Apple Vinegar
- Pot-au-feu(French Beef Stew)
- Cake Salé With Beetroot Mince
- Apfelkuchen (Berlin Apple Cake)
- Heirloom Carrot and Pork Stew
- Three Yummy Ways To Cook Fresh Purple Basil
- Cadiz Tuna Stew– Spain And The New World
- Quick & Fresh Napoli Tomato Sauce